Before starting the application process, the candidate must:
1. Ensure that he/she meets the eligibility criteria (given below) of GATE 2018.
2. Determine the GATE paper you wish to appear for. A candidate is allowed to appear in ONLY ONE paper.
3. Choose the City of choice to appear for the examination: There are two primary choices and one secondary choice. If you choose a particular city as your first choice, then the corresponding zone to which this city belongs will appear, and you will be able to choose another city as your second choice only from this zone. These choices will be your primary choices in a specific zone. However, a third choice has also been introduced in GATE 2018, which is your secondary choice. The list of 3rd choice cities will be as specified by each zone and this will be used only when your cities of primary choice are not available. However, because of operational constraints, the GATE committee reserves the right to add a new city or remove an existing one, and allot a city that may not be any of the choices of a candidate.
The categories of candidates eligible to appear for GATE 2018 are given in Table below.
|Qualifying Degree (short)||Qualifying Degree/Examination (Descriptive)||Description of Eligible candidates||Year of Qualification cannot be later than||Copies of Certificates to be submitted|
|Passed in the year 2015 or earlier||Expected to complete in 2016 or later|
|B.E./B.Tech/ B.Arch/ B.Pharm.||Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture/ Pharmacy (Post-Diploma/ Post B.Sc./4 years after 10+2)||Currently in the 4th year or already completed||2016||Degree Certificate/ Provisional Certificate/ Course Completion Certificate||Certificate from Principal|
|B.Sc.(Research)/B.S||Bachelor's degree in Science (Post-Diploma/ 4 years after 10+2)||Currently in the 4th year or already completed||2016||Degree Certificate/ Provisional Certificate/ Course Completion Certificate||Certificate from Principal|
|M.Sc./M.A./ MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in the final year or already completed||2016||Degree Certificate/Provisional Certificate/Course Completion Certificate (pertaining to Masters degree)||Certificate from Principal|
|Int. M.E/ M.Tech(Post BSc)||Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering/ Technology (Four year programme)||Currently in the 2nd/3rd/4th year or already completed||2018||Degree Certificate/Provisional Certificate/Course Completion Certificate||Certificate from Principal|
|Int. M.E./M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||Integrated Master’s degree programs or Dual Degree programs in Engineering/ Technology (Five year programme)||Currently in the 4th/5th year or already completed||2017||Degree Certificate/Provisional Certificate/Course Completion Certificate||Certificate from Principal|
|Int. M. Sc/ Int. B.S.-M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or Five year integrated B.S.-M.S. program||Currently in the final year or already completed||2016||Degree Certificate / Provisional Certificate / Course Completion Certificate||Certificate from Principal|
|Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch)||B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch. equivalent examinations, of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/ UPSC/ AICTE (e.g. AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India)||Completed Section A or equivalent of such professional courses||NA||Professional Certificate/ Provisional Certificate/Course Completion/Membership Certificate issued by the Society or Institute||Copy of Mark sheet for Section “A”|
NOTE: If a candidate is pursuing any higher degree or already obtained a degree higher than that mentioned in the above table, then the candidate can select the relevant minimum required qualifying degree while filling the application form.Certificate from Principal
Candidates who have to submit a certificate from their college Principal, as determined from above Table, have to obtain one from his/her institution beforehand and upload the same during the online submission of the application form.Candidates with backlogs
Candidates who have appeared in the final semester/year exam in 2015, but with a backlog (arrears/failed subjects) in any of the papers in their qualifying degree should
1. submit a copy of any one of the marks sheets of the final year,
2. have to obtain a declaration from their Principal along with the signature and seal beforehand and upload the same during the online submission of the application form.